Friday, March 25, 2011

Cheerio Costume from Glee

Like much of America, I have totally gotten sucked into the Glee craze! It's a show about the outcast kids in high school learning to have confidence and pride in who they are and not what people try to label them as. Plus they constantly burst out into song!!! What's not to love? Haha For those of you not familiar with the show, the cheerios are what they called the cheerleaders. I feel like they are one of the most recognizable costumes from the show, since everyone else is dressed in fairly normal clothes.

As Halloween 2010 was approaching I was working on 2 costumes for my boyfriend and I to wear to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party at Disneyland, but finished them early and decided it would be fun to make something a little more "cheerful" to wear to work for our Halloween party. Thus the Cheerio/Cheerleader idea was born! I rummaged through my fabric boxes to see what I had laying around. To my surprise I actually had everything I needed for the costume in my craft nook! So I found some reference images, sketched up a plan and started working!!

A) B)

When I was looking for reference images of the Cheerios, I found out that had 2 versions of skirts, one was their official skirt and has all the slitted pleats, the other was their practice skirt, which was just a little fitted mini skirt that's red and black matched up with the shirt (aka the shell). Since I only had a couple weeks to finish this, I decided the pleated skirt might be a bit too ambitious, so I went with the practice skirt as seen in the reference image (Photo A). You can see in my sketches (Photo B) that I played around with the idea of both skirts, but even in my sketches I recognized the pleats complexity.

With my design figured out it was time to start pattern making, and that meant breaking out the muslin! Within an hour I had a rough pattern draped on Bell, my dress form (Photo C). It was so helpful to have Bell, as I was able to figure out the seam placement, and get the right fit for the shell! The next day I started cutting out the actual fabrics. In order to get the red and black cleanly on the white pieces, I used these iron on transfer sheets called "Heat'n Bond" I had left over from another project. It allowed me to turn the black and red panels into iron on patches that easily attached to the white base shirt (Photo D). Next up I used the Heat'n Bond to turn my ribbon into iron on pieces as well, this was very tedious!!! It was sorth it though, as it kept all 3 ribbon colors straight and ready to attach to the shirt (Photo E). Once ironed down I proceeded to sew the edge of each ribbon. The Heat'n Bond worked better then pinning the ribbon onto the shirt, and I felt I was able to get much straighter smoother lines with it already being attached to the fabric (Photo F)! Finally it was time to sew the rest of the shirt together! I attached the side panels and shoulders (Photo G). It was time to try it on, to make sure everything was fitting appropriately (Photo H).

C) D) E)
F) G) H)

With everything fitting as it should, it was time to add the thicker black trim to the side of the shirt (Photo I). It was really starting to look like a Cheerio Shell at this point! With the black trim attached, it was time to get started on the skirt. The skirt was really simple, I was able to draft the basic shape off of a little mini skirt I already owned. I used the Heat'n Bond again on the skirt to attach the red panels, then sewed it all up (Photo J). Once I added the black trim to the skirt, I pinned in the zippers to both the skirt and shell. It was time to try it all on and make any last adjustments before sewing everything in place (Photo K). I also was able to figure out where to hem the skirt, which is why the bottom looks so wonky in that picture. I cut off the extra fabric from the skirt, leaving just enough to hem, and laid it all out. Seeing how everything lined up both in the front (Photo L) and back (Photo M) felt really rewarding. I finished the hem, sewed in the zippers and called it a night. It had only been 5 days and it was already coming together!!

I) J) K)
L) M)

No cheerleader is complete with out her trusty pom poms (Photo N)! The cheerleaders on Glee used the fluffy round plastic ones, and I was able to find them for a great price at OmniCheer.net under Pom Poms>In-Stock Cheer Pom Poms. They shipped them fast and I got them in plenty of time for Halloween! I also ordered a pair of red cheer briefs from them, which came with the Pom Poms, I wanted to be authentic, and I didn't have time to make the briefs (and for $5, why bother? haha).

N)

Everything was in place, I just had to make the WMHS Logo to go on the front of the Shell! Since I don't embroider, and I couldn't find the correctly shaped iron on letters at Jo-ann's, I decided to go the old fashion crafty rout! I used felt and fabric paint! I used white and red felt, that I cut out in the shape of the white background and the red letters (Photo O). Once attached, I used black fabric paint to outline the lettering (Photo P). When it had dried, I hand stitched it to the front of the shell, and at last the costume was complete (Photo Q)! I am so pleased with how it turned out, and it's time to get my Glee on!!! hahaha

O) P)
Q)

When Halloween rolled around I threw on my costume and skipped to work! Well, I drove, but I skipped down the hall once I got there!!! I had so much fun wearing it, and made up silly little cheers all day. That night I picked up Josh from the airport, and he had brought his red practice jersey to wear. It was just great, I think we looked especially Glee-ful at the party that night! Just check out our awesome photobooth pics! hehehe




*********************IMPORTANT PLEASE READ*********************
Thank you all so much for the incredibly overwhelming response to this post! It really is such a compliment to have so many fellow Glee fans show an interest in my costume. I have received many e-mails/posts/requests asking if I am either selling, or willing to make and sell this costume. At this time, my costumes are my personal hobby, and while I love making them for my friends and I, it is not something I'm doing as a "job" or for income. So I am sorry, but I am not accepting commissions at this time. As for the costume, I am not selling it at this time. However, if I ever do decide to sell any of my costumes, I will be sure to post about it on this blog for you all to have first dibs! Again, thank you so so much for the interest in this costume, it really is very flattering. I will of course be happy to answer as many questions as I can if any of you want to make your own at home. I have thought about trying to translate my pattern into a tutorial for people to follow. Is that something you all would be interested in? Also, The Split Pleated Skirt is still on my to do list, and will hopefully come about soon!

27 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I was looking into making a Cheerios costume for Halloween and found your post. It looks amazing!! Came out perfect :) Quick question though—what kind of fabric did you use for the actual costume?
    Thanks so much!
    -Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would totally pay if you made me the other desgin, I can give you my measures and stuff,please!1!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PLEASE!!!!! i beg you make me one1 I´ll pay!!
    If you accept e mail me, peksnpeks@hotmail.com, PLEASE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looked forever online to find a cheerios costume & none of them have the slitted pleats! I really want a cheerios costume w/slitted pleats! Can you please show us(the internet, especially me) how to make it w/slitted pleats???

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many great comments! I apologize for my absence lately! It's been busy at work, and finding time to be crafty and post about it has been limited! I'm so happy to see all of your positive responses though! I'm currently not in a place where I am taking commissions, but would LOVE the chance to post about how to make the slit pleated skirts! I will make that my goal to have figured out in August! In the mean time, if you're looking to buy here are two options:

    This is the official site that makes the Glee Cheerios uniforms for the show. I have not ordered from them, but hey, they're official!
    http://www.dehencheer.com/subs/fox_glee.html

    This is just a more affordable version of the practice costume. I have not bought this either, so I'm not sure on the quality:
    http://costumecraze.com/GLEE05.html

    Ms. Julia, I will have to double check the fabrics, I don't want to steer ya wrong.

    Thank you all again for swinging by my blog! I'll try and get some more stuff up soon! Also, I appreciate all of your questions, comments and suggestions! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, i wanted to make to uniform as well, though i have no idea what fabric to use. Could you please look what fabric did you use? Thanks :)

      Delete
  6. Would you make me the top? I would pay? Cause my mom's not that advanced in sewing and stuff...if you will consider...this is my email: dancingdonut1234@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lita1924 said wowwww i love ur cheerios outfit out of curiosity do u no how to make the origanal skirt cos my mum will help me make my cheerios outfit cos im making mine myself and some friends they will pay me $25 how much do u think the cheerios outfit would be worth??? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ive been looking FOREVER for a cheerios pleated skirt. Me and my friends are planning to be cheerios for halloween and we would love if we had a pleated skirt. If u can make one plz and thank u!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my God!!! It's so PERFECT! I'm in love with the perfection!!! I'm gonna to inspire my uncle to do this for me with your blog, ok? Bye!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet! Send Pictures! I'd love to see how it turns out!

      ~Hannah

      Delete
  10. KOOL!! what are all the matirals?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh? Can you tell me how you planned out your pattern? I really want one and your's looks perfect. But, i would really like a pleated skirt. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lita1924 said i finished making my cheerios costume but its really really bad i made the season 2 one with the lines on top how to u make it stuck on the top and im going to make a new cheerios but the one u made i really want the pleated skirt cos i made that and its the wrong material and not really that pleated so yea i need advice thanx

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG this is perfect i have been looking for one of these with the right writing and a pleated skirt for ages I would pay $20 Aus dollars for one please email me georgia_wilkes@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. omg love it do u live in america cos if u do can u pls make me one and u can send it to australia and ill pay how much would it be oh and wat material id u use and how did u put the lines on oh and the re bit for the sleves how id u put that on

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cornelia, 14 (SWE)January 22, 2012 at 3:58 AM

    Wow, you're SO good at this!!!
    I'm working on a Warbler-jacket at school (if that made any sense), but as soon as the summer vacation starts, I will [try to] do a Cheerio uniform. I'm planning on buying a top + skirt and kinda start from there.

    So I have three questions:
    1. Would you mind if I used this as an inspiration? (If no, I'm cool w/ that! :))
    2. Is buying the parts a good way to start, or should I start from scratch?
    3. And also, do you have any advice before I start?

    Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cornelia!

      1. I would be totally flattered if you used me for inspiration! That is so kind of you to ask!

      2. This depends mostly on your skill level when it comes to sewing. Have you made a lot of things from scratch before? Do you sew a lot? Are you comfortable with measuring yourself and drafting your own patterns? It's totally ok if you're not, I've spent years teaching myself, mostly by the trial and error method....aka 90% error.... If you're wanting a quick/easy/non sewer friendly method, starting with base pieces and decorating/embellishing from there is your best bet! All of the solid lines in this costume I used either ribbon or Bias tape for, which you can find at your local sewing store, or possibly even in the sewing department at Wal*Mart! You can either sew it down using a sewing machine or tack it on by hand. If you're not comfortable sewing it, you can used fabric glue to tack it down. It's not the most durably way, but it will work as far as a costume is concerned. I just used felt and fabric pain to make the letters, and the pom poms were purchased here:
      http://www.omnicheer.com/Pom-Poms/In-Stock-Cheer-Pom-Poms/Plastic-Pom-Poms/2-Color-In-Stock-Cheerleading-Pom.axd

      3. I guess I sorta wrapped my advice into my answer for two....hmm... If you let me know what rout you plan on taking to make the costume, I can try and give more specific/better suggestions! I hope this helps!!

      I Love that you want to make this yourself! It's a fun project and it's always so rewarding when you finish! Please keep me posted, I would love to see how yours turns out!!! Have a great day!

      ~Hannah

      Delete
    2. Cornelia, 14 (SWE)January 22, 2012 at 6:55 AM

      Hi! Thank you for the answers!
      Well, I'm not really the best sewer in the world (I have a C at school so far, and I'm in 8th grade), but I guess I can ask my sister or something. :)
      And by that "what rout.." part, what do you mean? I'm Swedish, so I didn't really get that. :P

      But yeah, thank you once again for answering! Like I said, I first planned on starting this whole thing this summer, but I wouldn't be surprised if I started sooner, haha. I'll try to come with updates and stuff if and when I can! :)

      Delete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Hannah you made a cool cheerios uniform but have you ever made the season 2 uniform with the pleated skirt and i was wondering because i made one and it turned out awful im only 13 by the way and i used binding and material glue anyway do you know how to make the pleated skirt and and what material should i use i need all the advice i can get also i live in Australia thank you

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi I'm looking to make a cheerios outfit as well but with a pleated skirt. Someone has already asked about the materials you used. This seems to be my downfall at the moment as I'm looking for something with a slight stress but everything I've had samples for so far has either not had enough give in it or has been too thin. If you find out the materials you used could you post them as I'm at a bit of a loss. Thanks and great work

    ReplyDelete
  19. hey hannah you did a great job please can u do one with the pleated skirt do u live in amarica please emial me at jasmincartwright@hotmail.co.uk i will pay for one

    ReplyDelete
  20. hi hannah wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please will u make me one. can i have the shell pleated skirt and practice skirt please emial me jasmincartwright@btinternet.com thanks

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lita1924 said hey hannah wow u made a gr8t cheerios uniform pls make a season 2 if u do upload pls with the lines on the top how did i put them on sew them iron it or glue it anyway theres a website go on google nd type glee cheerios uniform crafster.org its really good nd if pls pls pls tell us wat material did u use i made a pleated skirt it turned out ok but not the best thanx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it! You're my inspiration, I really wanted a cheerio costume, but they where so expensive in my country. And I saw this blog. And started to do this too. I'm almost done, except the pleated skirt. Its much more fun when you're do it at yourself! If I'm done, I'll send a pic to ya if its done! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie, I am so excited that you are making this costume! I would definitely love to see pictures when you are finished! Keep up the great work and thank you for your lovely comment! ^_^

      Delete