Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"Revenge is a dish best served chilled!" Take 2

Remember awhile back, I posted a sketch I did of Kristin Chenoweth from Pushing Daisies? Well I finally picked up some colored pencils and gave it a go at bringing it to life with a little color. For anyone who has seen Pushing Daisies, you'll know it's a show that thrives on vibrant eye catching color! I wanted to try and achieve that richness in my drawing. Since I really like how the line art for this drawing turned out, I wanted to leave it in tact. So I pulled out my light box, that my friend Helen built, and the snazzy new Prisma Colored Pencils that my friend Jon gave me. I paper clipped my blank paper to the original drawing, and started working up a rough under painting. It was really fun to use the light box since it let me to reference my original sketch, while allowing me to build up the "lines" through contrast in both value and colors. It gave me a lot more freedom to build up the form without relying on the illustrative lines. This was my first time using this technique and I found it to be both fun and rewarding!



As you may have noticed, I have added a watermark to the image. This is because I recently had some of my art stolen and it was being printed and sold on t-shirts. So in an effort to protect my work, I am starting to watermark it. I am also preparing to start selling prints of my art very soon, and will be sure to keep you all posted. If anyone is interested in purchasing a print of my art, please let me know and I'll be happy to work that out with you. hklees@gmail.com.

As Always, thank you so much for stopping by. Feel free to comment with any questions, critique or feedback. Have a lovely day!

<3
Hannah

4 comments:

  1. I think this technique worked well for you! I like how vivid it is, without being too "cartoony" from having the original lines all around the edges.

    Sorry to hear that you've been having some problems with your art being stolen. That really sucks. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! A Cheery way to start my morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, first off, this looks awesome!

    But what?? Someone stole your work?? That's awful, darling, I'm so sorry to hear that. What jerks! I want to hear all about it at some point. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone was stealing your stuff...what a douche canoe! You should draw a picture of you giving them the bird!

    ReplyDelete